People who smoke definitely understand that it is very difficult to quit. Even if you do not smoke but know anyone who is trying to quit, you need to understand that quitting is a difficult journey. Especially in today’s world where every other person smokes and we all live such hectic lives, smoking comes across as a temporary escape from all the chaos. But this temporary relief comes at the cost of your overall well-being. It is bad for your entire body – be it lungs, heart, immunity or looks – it impacts all and deteriorates your health gradually.
So if it is this injurious to the health, why do people still not get rid of this habit? Well, there are many psychological and behavioral reasons behind it. It can vary from peer pressure to stress to just habit. Nicotine dependence is one of the strongest reasons that make it really difficult to quit smoking.
When you smoke, the nicotine in the tobacco gets released into your body. It is actually nicotine which is responsible for creating a sense of instant relief when you smoke. When consumed, it triggers the brain to release the feel-good hormones – dopamine and serotonin which are basically stress busters. These neurotransmitters make you feel good and give you a certain kick. People eventually get hooked to this kick and start craving it again and again. But the more you smoke, the more you want to. This is because the body eventually starts developing a tolerance towards nicotine. You will eventually start feeling that the same amount of cigarettes in a day do not work for you and you will end up smoking more and more. This leads to nicotine dependence.
And when your body does not get nicotine, it starts experiencing nicotine withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms can vary from person to person but some of the common symptoms are anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, irritability, difficulty in concentration and so on.
But fear not, there is a tasty and reliable way to deal with these symptoms. Meet Nicotine gums.
They are a type of NRT product that are medically approved and help with smoking cessation. In this blog, we will talk about what nicotine gums are and how can they be an effective tool in fighting against the smoking habit.
Nicotine gums – the origin
They are believed to have been originated in around mid 20th century. It came up when the healthcare professionals and researchers realized that in order to stop people from smoking, they need to give a nicotine alternative that is safer and controllable. The idea was to overcome the addictive grip of cigarettes while managing the nicotine addiction. Anti Nicotine Gums not only provide nicotine but also address the oral fixation and tactile sensations associated with smoking.
Reasons for you to choose nicotine gums
1. They are flexible and easy to use
They are medically approved products and can be bought without a doctor’s prescription. They are readily available over the counter. This convenience makes them an easy way to deal with nicotine cravings. Additionally, they are easy to carry around and consume. They fit into your pocket and you do not have to leave the room or find a lighter every time you crave. All you need to do is take it out of your bag and pop it in your mouth. Of course, there is a way to chew on nicotine gum (which is different than chewing gum), but it is still easier to consume.
- A tasty solution
Like your regular chewing gums, they are also available in different flavors. They are designed to be an appealing alternative to cigarettes and the manufacturers like ryze make sure that you enjoy a variety of flavors like classic mint, fruity or any other exotic choices. These flavors act as a distraction and redirect your attention from the urge to smoke.
Another thing that works in the favour of these nicotine gums is that they are available in different doses. They work on the principle of gradual reduction. This gives you the freedom to adjust your dose. People eventually start with a dose that keeps them off nicotine and gradually decreases it.
4. Better than going cold-turkey
Simply throwing away all your cigarettes and stopping smoking suddenly will not help in the long run. Especially if you are someone who used to smoke more than 5 cigs a day, going cold turkey will just trigger very bad withdrawal symptoms and force you to relapse.
Pacing your nicotine intake via nicotine gums gives time to your body to gradually get adjusted to reduced nicotine intake. This helps fight the urge to smoke, increasing your chances of quitting.
Things to remember while eating nicotine gums!
While switching to nicotine gums sounds easy and convenient, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind while using them –
1. Do not have them while you are still smoking! Remember that they are loaded with nicotine and having them with cigarettes will just shoot up the nicotine levels in your body, defeating their whole purpose. They should be treated as an alternative to smoking!
2. Do not swallow it – Nicotine gums if swallowed can cause severe stomach pain or worsen nicotine cravings.
3. Avoid chewing too quickly – They are supposed to be eaten slowly. This will release the nicotine gradually and give it time to seep into your bloodstream.
4. Do not forget to park them – You need to park them between your gums and cheek and then chew them again. Repeat the process for roughly 30 minutes till the gum loses its flavor completely.
5. Do not eat or drink while chewing the gum – When you have the gum in your mouth, avoid eating or drinking anything as it might reduce the effectiveness of the gum.
6. Dispose of the gum safely – Once you have utilized the gum, wrap the used nicotine chewing gum in a tissue or in its own packaging and place it in the trash. Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
7. Be patient – at last, be patient with yourself. Nicotine gums take time to get used to. Stay motivated and trust the process. If you ever feel like giving up, talk to the people around you and seek support!
At last – Nicotine Gums are a safer and more convenient way to deal with smoking cravings. If used diligently, they will help win the fight against cigarettes!